Do you ever think about how much waste you create during the holiday season? According to the Medical University of South Carolina, waste disposal increases 25 percent in the United States, causing an extra 5 billion pounds of waste in the landfills.
Here are some tips to help you reduce your waste and be more environmentally friendly this holiday season:
1. Don’t Buy Wrapping Paper- reuse old wrapping paper, gift bags or boxes.
2. Send E-Holiday Cards- many sites will allow you to send free e-cards, eliminating a large cost and waste of paper.
3. Rethink your holiday party-Instead of using one-use products, such as paper plates and utensils, consider using plates, silverware and napkins you can wash. Recycle all aluminum and glass bottles.
4. Give the Gift of Time- Consider giving the gift of your time and talent-offer to make dinner, walk the dog, help with gardening or home repairs.
5. Recycle Packaging From Gifts-reduce environmental impacts and recycle all cardboard packaging and peanuts or other Styrofoam packing that come with gifts or purchases. These items can used over and over again for packaging and shipping– these items will not break down in a landfill.