Homebuyers are searching for features that are cost-effective and provide lasting value, said experts at the recent International Builders Show in Las Vegas.
“It’s all about family togetherness – casual living, entertaining and flexible spaces,” says Carol Lavender, president of the Lavender Design Group in San Antonio.
The top 10 must-haves homebuyers are looking for in new homes, as identified in a recent survey.
1. Large kitchens with islands
2. Energy efficiency, including energy-efficient appliances, super insulation, and high-efficiency windows.
3. Home offices
4. Main-floor master suite
5. Outdoor living space
6. Ceiling fans
7. Soaking tub in the master suite and/or an oversize shower with a seating area
8. Stone and brick exteriors rather than stucco or vinyl
9. Community walking paths and playgrounds
10. Two-car garages, but three-car garages are even more desirable
Source: MarketWatch, Steve Kerch (01/30/2010)